Lux Spectralis Sold Out

The beautiful copper-on-black Lux Spectralis PCBs are all gone.  Whimper.  This actually caught me by surprise.  Well, time to make some more.

I’ve re-designed the Lux Spectralis to make it simpler to assemble.  I’ve omitted all the extra transistors and replaced the hard-to-find RGB LED with three individual, high-output LEDs.  Now you can mix & match!  How about a “Purple Haze” Lux (red, blue, UV)?  Under-the-Sea Lux (green, cyan, blue)?  Or a toasty Fire Lux (red, orange, yellow)?

I’ve got prototype PCBs coming in the mail and as soon as I’m happy with the new, simplified circuitry I’ll have a big batch of them built.  This will take about a month, so please be patient!

If you’re heart is set on one of the older Lux Spectralis kits, a few are still available at the Maker Shed.  Until the end of February 2011, buy one Lux Spectralis for $10 and get a second one for half price ($5)!  Use code SHINY.

7 Comments

1. Jeff says:

Hi,
    I purchased 4 of these (Lux Spectralis) and they are all missing the Q2 transistor & 1 – 1k resistor.
    What happened & can you send those to me?

2. Dale Wheat says:

Those components were intentionally omitted. They are not used in the circuit, and the Lux Spectralis works just fine without them.

See the “Important Notes:” on the bottom of page 2 of the assembly instructions for more information.

3. Gert says:

Kewl you should come up with that. Eexlcelnt!

4. Barrie Norum says:

Not A Comment.

Do you Have a part # for the YGB LED or are they carried in your stock. Due to my ineptitude I need a new one.

Barrie

5. Dale Wheat says:

Barrie,

Don’t beat yourself up. We all make mistakes. Two days ago I deleted 6 years worth of emails. Oh, well.

Email your snail-mail address to “dale” at “dalewheat” dot “com” and I’ll mail you another one.

Dale

6. Mike says:

Is this new simple version now available for sale?

7. Dale Wheat says:

Not yet. I’ve got a preliminary design completed but I still need to update the assembly instructions and actually have the PCBs manufactured. This could be a while.